Saturday, July 22, 2006

My friend Yew Huoi


First name, Yew Huoi. Last name, Ng. But, there are people who know him as Leonard.

His age, you ask. Same as mine. Perhaps 2 months older than I am.

Where on Earth did I get to know him? Ah, now, that's where the thinking comes in. You see, Rick was in the Boys' Brigade (BB). For those of you who don't know what that is, please head over to my brother's blog and you'll get a gist of it. In short, it's like the Scouts, just that the founder of Scouts was a BB boy himself. I hope this is right, otherwise, please feel free to correct me. And then, my brother became a BB boy. Somewhere along those lines, I was introduced to Yew Huoi, as he was also a BB boy. I've forgotten if he was Rick's or my bro's friend but that doesn't matter anymore.

While I was in Desa 2, he was in Desa 1. We seldom saw each other and the only times that we did were through BB and prefect functions (my bro was a prefect, too and a vice head for that matter). When I decided to give Form 6 a go, I had to familiarise myself with a new surrounding as my school only goes up until Form 5. So, it was at Desa 1 that I spent 2 miserable weeks before entering CPU. Guessed? Yup, for 2 weeks I was his classmate. He sort of scared me a little as he was this really perfect guy and was a 'don't-mess-with-me-or-you'll-suffer-the-consequences' kind of person.

Of late, I found out that he's best friends with Su Ee, our head prefect back in school. Odd. But it's really NOMB. He contacted me via Friendster to inform me of his visit to the Down Under and NZ and was asking a favour - a place to stay while in Sydney. Being the kind (ahem!) person that I am, of course I graciously offered. They (he, his younger sister Corvy and his mum, Ivy) slept in my room. I moved the sofabed into the room so 3 made the room cozy (and warm) enough for nice winter nights.

I brought them around, of course. We went to Pancakes on the Rocks


and Borelli's. Aunty Ivy was kind enough to treat us to dinner at Borelli's. She was even nice enough to help me clean the house! Goodness!


Yew Huoi had the privilege of watching me do my last minute preparation for my presentation. It's amazing how I seem to come up with the best ideas at the very last minute but no, please do not follow in my footsteps. I am NOT a good role model.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that I was in your blog until, guess what, I googled my own name. Ahem, it was nice to know that my name appears. Yeah, I really njoy the days we had together in Sydney. Tkx n keep in touch!

Yew Huoi