Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Last year, first time

As most of you know, this is my fourth year in Sydney. It also means that I would have attended four MFests, which I have. But this year, it was different. I was not only there at Tumbalong Park as a spectator - I was there not only to watch other people perform on stage, to eat the delicious Malaysian food or to pour words of encouragement and gratitude to the student committee members. This year, I was there as a volunteer myself. Yes, after four years (and not to mention after graduating from uni), I have decided to re-live the feelings of being part of a group of enthusiastic youngsters who have just started the 2nd decade of their lives.

What to do? Siapa panggil I kenal committee member semua? I know so many of them even though I'm not part of the committee! Actually, I know more people outside of my own uni's comittee. Jenny and Miow were the presidents of MASA and SUAMS respectively. Nic was the sports direcotor of SUAMS. And from them, I got to know Joy, June, Jolyn, Julian, Diane, Yamud, Salina, Sunny, Michelle and Bernard. Superb (and hyper crazy) lovelies, they are...

As a volunteer of MFest, I chose to be part of the marketing crew. My job: to walk from Darling Harbour up Liverpool Street to Hyde Park and proceed to Market City. We were extremely lucky that day as we had terrific weather after an entire week of rain and wind. We had the sun, the blue sky. It was perfect and it was the first time in several years that MFest was blessed with such fine weather.

I thought we looked real snazzy in our bright orange T-shirts. They made us stand out in the crowd. Sara and Yona, my coursemates also made it there.


Sara brought containers and a big bag to bring some food home to eat for her next few dinners and lunches. So smart! Unfortunately, Vim couldn't make it this year. I was rather disappointed as we meet only once a year at MFest. I guess the next time I'd meet him would be at his engagement party or maybe his wedding. Hehehehehe.... But, I did manage to meet up with juniors from primary and high school: Jack Phin


and Wei Sheong:


Our history dates back to when they were in primary 1 and I, in primary 5. I used to be the prefect in charge of their class... goodness...

And surprise of all surprises, someone who knows me from primary school 'found' me! Kok Kit, who found me familiar struck a conversation with me during a break from rehearsing his Chinese fan dance. Both of us got so excited when we found out that we studied in SKTD! He was in the same class as my second cousin, Stephanie Hiew Ting Ting, Petra's sister, Elizabeth and also knew Weng Onn. So cool!! Amazing that he could still recognise me. Thank you yea, Kok Kit... feels nice to have another Desarian nearby...

At the end of the day, I pulled Jona backstage to help me take a group photo with the dancers.


These blokes are really friendly, especially Edison. He even asked me for my number and e-mail! Wah.....

Although I was dead tired after that, I went with Angeline to Jenny's place to continue thinking of steps for our Chinese fan and ribbon dance. So 'kan lek' hor? Sigh, what to do? They gave us only 3 weeks to come up with a dance from scratch leh. No music, costumes, nothing. This experience I will share in my next post. =)

No comments: