Friday, May 28, 2010

Wesak Day 2010

With the past week filled with wetness, dampness and coldness, I did not expecting anything less today. However, the weather surprisingly proved to me that forecasts are not always true. I made a last minute decision to have lunch in the city with Angeline and Chee Sing and hastily grabbed my newly bought military-style coat from my wardrobe. I jammed, turned and walked towards my window. I peered through the blinds and thought to myself, "I am so going to roast in this coat today. Maybe it's not such a good idea then...."

Yes, we had SUNSHINE today. Yippee! I wonder if today being Wesak Day had anything to do with it.... hm...

I was just in time to catch the 1:55pm train to the city. When I got off at Town Hall, I rang the two lovebirds and met them downstairs of their studio apartment. We then walked towards Peace Harmony Vegetarian Thai Restaurant, located corners of King and Erskine Street. Unfortunately, we did not get to sample any of their well-reviewed food, as their kitchen was closed for orders. Bummer....

Recalling another place on Pitt Street, we then went to Mother Chu's Vegetarian Kitchen. As I neared the shop, I stopped in my tracks as soon as I noticed the sign on the door - it began with 'C' instead of 'O'.... Sigh...

'Maybe we could go to a Thai restaurant and order the vegetarian stuff? Can right? They do that right?'

Nods and shoulder shrugs later, we walked further down the street to popular Thai restaurant, Saap Thai. There was not a single customer, resulting in our food arriving promptly.


Chee Sing ordered a Pad Thai with vegetables and tofu:


He also ordered a glass of cincau. Angeline had her favourite vegetarian tomyum noodles:


She asked me, "Can drink milk or not ah?" When I gave the affirmative, she rejoiced like a little child treated with candy and placed an order for a glass of Thai milk tea:


I, on the other hand, was just too happy to ask for a plate of green curry rice with vegetables and tofu. Had no idea why I was just craving for green curry this arvo...


The curry itself was thick and had a strong coconut milk (santan) taste to it. It lived up to its spicy reputation but with the sweetness of the santan, I thought it balanced off quite well. They gave a sizeable portion of greens, of course including the french beans, capsicum, bamboo shoot slices and broccoli. It even had pieces of curry leaf and red chilli, which I removed entirely! I did not manage to finish the whole serving, leaving quite a portion of the rice behind. I guess it was the thickness of the curry that made me full without having to finish all the rice.

We were at the restaurant for quite some time, catching up about life and friends. We then went to hunt for a pair of boots at Kazui (or are they Kagui or Kasui?) over at World Square. Angeline had just bought a pair of black heeled boots from the same shop (TGV outlet) yesterday and was asking if I wanted to get a pair as well. There was a brown pair that was selling for $62 (only!) that I really liked. Even Angeline thought they looked good and felt comfy (yes, she tried them on, too). I returned them to the salesgirl, as I am determined to find myself a black pair. Wonder if they would be getting any new stock that would be of a similar price, comfort and design........

We parted after that and I went for a stroll at Darling Harbour. I think my timing for public transport today is impeccable, as I made it just in time for the train back home from Central. While walking home from the station, I managed to admire in full glory the Wesak full moon:


So, from under the brilliance of the moonshine, Happy Wesak Day and may you be well and happy always! Sadhu, Sadhu, Sadhu!

1 comment:

Roti Kacang Merah said...

brilliant photos, ESPECIALLY the fullmoon one..! Happy Wesak Day to u!