Monday, August 02, 2010

My Coogee to Bondi coastal walk

On a bright, sun shiny Saturday, my weekend walking kaki and I decided to attempt the coastal walk from Coogee to Bondi. Before we set off from the city, we fueled up at Jimmy's Recipe to ensure that we would not feel hungry for the duration of the walk. We tried the newly opened outlet in World Square. I particularly liked the warm welcome and crisp layout of the place.


A little smaller than the original outlet over at Galleries Victoria, I thought the Ipoh Hor Fun I ordered was more tasteful comparatively.


The Prawn Noodles, on the other hand, I felt was still not as good as the one served at Lee's Malaysian. I swear the Prawn Noodles there come straight from Penang!


They go by the 'high class hawker fanfare' concept, which I think is a popular trend now. The indoor decor and external design reminded me of the Secret Recipe franchise back home. Don't you think that even the name is similar?

The bus from Central took us directly to Coogee Beach, which was where we started our walking expedition.


We love Coogee - SUAMS, MASA, MSO and MSA have numerous barbeque outings here! Not hard to see why...






Er, it says no camping, right? But...


I have to shamefully admit that I did not even know of the existence of some of the places I walked past! Tsk tsk tsk... what have I been doing in Sydney for the past 7 years? One such place was Gordon's Bay...






What a creative way to go with the saying, 'if you can't beat them, join them'! Haha, this house owner generously offered his wall for graffiti!


There were plenty of stairs to climb up and down of. I mean, it's a cliff right next to the sea so yea, understandable...


Hm, wonder if we could see Maroubra from here?


When you get sun, sea and fresh air, who wouldn't want to do some painting like this person here?


Clovelly Beach was where we walked past next. Home to one of the first surf lifesaving clubs in the world, there is a three-lane swimming pool available, as well...






Bundock Park was just after the bend and seemed a popular spot with locals, especially those with dogs...




And I liked how they had this initiative. Very thoughtful:


The next part of the walk was my favourite! Why? Well, we were walking on boardwalks (for some reason, I love the feeling of walking on wood), were right above the splashing waves and there was an oh-so-lovely cemetery! I tell you, they sure know how to pick their resting grounds. Whoever has ancestors buried here at Waverley Cemetery are fortunate! Some of us Chinese believe that the deceased resting in places with good feng shui (with a hill/mountain at the back for support and with water elements in the front for flow of life) will 'help' provide their following generations with good luck. Whether you would like to believe it, it is still no harm to choose a place like this, eh?






An elderly couple with binoculars generously told us that there were whales out in the sea yonder.


"See those two white boats? If you watch, you can see water spouts. Might be two or three of 'em whales there. Hard to see, but they're there, alright..." Yup, we saw those water spouts, alright.

Haha, and how timely! There was a water station for me to refill my water bottle when I was just running out!


Down the road, we walked through beach Bronte, the best of 641 suburbs in Sydney.







Remember how I said there were places I didn't even know existed? Well, Tamarama is another such place. My first impression: Wah, so small ar the beach? And apparently, the Bondi Aquarium used to be here, too...



As we turned the corner into Mackenzies Bay, we noticed the glistening golden colour of dusk creeping in...



... and just in time, too! I was so happy to when I saw the funny-looking rock...




... because it meant that Bondi was just after that!



Woohoo! So proud of myself... hahaha, where to next walk?

No comments: