Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

It is that time of the year again. I could still remember this time last year when I shared a video of a song I used to, and still sing.

It is that time of the year again. But this year, there is no celebration, as daily life takes over. Instead of a nice dinner with family and friends, I will be out attending a health seminar with Edison.

It is that time of the year again. I ask myself the same question, yet again. Why do we call it Mid-Autumn Festival when in Malaysia, we do not have autumn? I suppose it is like how Chinese New Year is regarded the Spring Festival. Everything we do still relates to China, no? No wonder to us Malaysians, it is simply known as Mooncake Festival (haha, everything in Malaysia relates to food, ey?).

It is that time of the year again. I have, however, resolved to not buy mooncakes for they make me miss home. I am content to just browse through the many varieties on sale in the shops.


It is that time of the year again. But this year and with every passing year until the day I have my own children, the urge to light colourful candles and lanterns around the house dies out little by little. Heck, thinking of cleaning up the wax after the fun is just... nah, we all know how fussy our agents are regarding our rented places.

But it is this time of the year when I stare at the moon and wonder if Chang Er is having the time of her life there with the little rabbit.

It is this time of the year when I am away from home that I replay the scenes of our dinner over at grandma's house. There would be a feast with all the traditional food after we take turns to burn incense. All us cousins would light the whole courtyard with small colourful candles in fancy patterns, as if in competition with the houses around us. We would light our lanterns (yes, the traditional ones made from bamboo and colourful glass paper, not those battery-operated unimaginative ones) and take a stroll in the neighbourhood.

It is the time of the year when TNB does not chalk up as much from the rakyat as usual. Many houses would switch the lights off in exchange for candle light. Hm, but now with Astro in many households, I wonder if that is still the case?

It is the time of the year when I think of the kids I teach and wonder if they are being taught the songs I would teach them. Songs like 月亮圆, 月光光 and 真热闹 complete with hand actions, hopefully.

It is the time of the year when I share the homesick feeling with many others abroad. I miss the family gatherings, the food, the atmosphere of festivities.

And so I would like to wish my family and friends 中秋节快乐 no matter where you are in the world...

。。。 没有春夏秋冬的家流传千年。。。

2 comments:

Reanaclaire said...

hi..greetings from Ipoh.. wishing u have a good mooncake day! lol.. i also dont know why, perhaps we just follow traditions to celebrate..

www.reanaclaire.com

Chrys said...

thank you and same to you... :)