Thursday, June 06, 2013

MakMak Macarons

I first heard of MakMak through a Facebook forum of Malaysians in Australia. I am not a macaron person but the colourful box of little round cuteness caught my attention because the person who shared that photo made a passing mention of the owner being Malaysian.

Malaysian? I did a Google search. Yes, I love Google. So I typed in MakMak Macarons and out came 2k plus results. Hm... I slowly read through the reviews and felt ever so proud that this 'little' brand of highly recommended macarons was started by a Malaysian chap from PJ.

It took me a few months before I paid a visit to their then pop up now permanent shop in Newtown. They are nearer the St. Peters side of Newtown, so I would recommend getting off at St. Peters Station if one is taking the train.

Carlos Heng is the brains behind the business. I found out during our little chat that he studied at BBBS and I instantly made connections to a few of my own friends. Turned out that we have quite a few mutual friends!


These babies are all handmade, hand-piped and 100% gluten-free.


The little mini sweet dessert burgers are made fresh daily in the premises, which means that flavours vary depending on the day. How can you not like this colourful display?


Each macaron is priced at $3. Box of 5 is $15, box of 10 is $27 and a box of 12 is $32. A macaron with a cup of iced tea is $5 but iced tea on its own is $3.50.


As I went in Autumn, they were running a Botanicals theme that was inspired by herbs, flowers and other plants.


I did not know how to choose. So, I ended up taking one of each flavour. Incidentally, there were 12 flavours. Just right.


The 12 flavours we had were:
  • Peppermint and Belgian dark chocolate (Speckled green)
  • Green tea latte (Dark green with white heart) - this was quite refreshing
  • Salted caramel (Ivory)
  • Peppermint and Black tea (Pale green) - this was our favourite!
  • Rhubarb and Rose (Red/Pink) - thumbs up for this one!
  • Peanut butter and Belgian milk chocolate (Blue)
  • Passionfruit, Orange and Lemon myrtle (Yellow/Orange) - we liked this one, too!
  • Strawberry, Vincotto and Pink peppercorn (Red with designs) - least liked of the lot
  • Smoked vanilla and Pecan praline (Brown with designs)
  • Apricot and Elderflower (Orange with designs)
  • Pistachio (Khaki green)
  • Bounty (Brown/White) - too coconuty for us


On some of the macarons, there are unique designs to make them all the more enticing!


Sun, sea, beach, tea, MakMak and good company - best weekend combination ever!


MakMak on Urbanspoon

601 King Street, Newtown, NSW 2042, Australia
Tel: +61 2 8095 0045
Tuesday to Friday 11:00am to 7:00pm
Saturday 11:00am to 6:00pm

No comments: