Friday, June 21, 2013

Mamak Chatswood


Seems odd that I do not include a post on a place I frequent. Maybe because I dine here pretty often that I think, why bother, right? And they already have made their name. Oh welllllsss.....


It is always this crowded, especially during weekends.


Most people who come here only have their rotis. Very few know that their other main dishes are pretty good, too. Take their nasi lemak ($8.50) for example. Add fried or curry chicken/fish/lamb/vegetarian for $3 or sambal prawn/cuttlefish for $4 and heaven!


This is my must-have - their mee goreng ($11.50), wok-tossed Hokkien noodles with eggs, prawns, fish cake slices  and fresh bean sprout. Other than the ambience and price, it is exactly what it is like back home.


Similarly, I also recommend their Maggi goreng ($11.50). Just like the above but using Maggi noodles instead. Sometimes, I wish they had Indomie goreng, too.


In Sydney, I still think they make the best rotis. All their rotis are served on stainless steel plates, just like those back home and with standard fish curry (which I absolutely love!), dahl and a dollop of sambal at the side.

The original Roti Canai $5.50

Roti Planta $6.50

Roti telur bawang, the classic egg roti with sweet red onion $7.00

Roti tisu, an extra thin, extra crispy, extravagant version of roti canai $9.50
Roti kaya served as dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream $7.50

I think the ais kacang ($6.00) and cendol ($6.00) desserts need no intro here.




And all Malaysian drinks on their menu are priced at $3.50 per mug. I almost always ask for teh halia (ginger teh tarik).


Depending on the team on duty, service can be responsive while at times, not so. Be prepared to queue on weekends, although I still wonder why they would rather have a few tables left empty to have a longer queue outdoors. Winter now, so hopefully they won't make diners wait in the cold when there are tables indoors.

Mamak on Urbanspoon

Mamak Chatswood
Shop P9, 1-5 Railway Street, Chatswood, NSW 2067, Australia
Tel: +61 2 9411 4411
Open daily 11:30am to 2:30pm, 5:30 to 9:30pm (10:30pm on Friday and Saturday)
*Reservations not accepted

No comments: