Saturday, December 28, 2013

Nihon Kai Japanese Restaurant

When he asked if I mind having Japanese for dinner, I replied, "No, I don't care what we have, as long as someone is willing to have dinner with me." He then forwarded a link to me to have a look at the restaurant that he thought of taking me to.

I did not know that there was a Japanese restaurant situated just a few shops away from Denise's dad's shop along Old Klang Road. With only street parking available, it took some time to find a spot for the car.

A friendly waitstaff ushered us up the stairs to where there was more seating. Both of us shared some warm green tea, which we ordered first, and then proceeded to browse the menu. The result:



It was a combination of what I wanted (the agedashi and unagi sushi) and what he liked (the seaweed below), as well as some other dishes to share.


Mixed sushi plate (RM48.00/AUD16.35)
As I only dug into the udon after I had sushi, I was not able to finish the whole bowl. In the end, he helped me to finish the udon.


However, with the agedashi tofu, I had more (3 out of the 5), because I love agedashi tofu! They could have made it more crispy, though. Either that or lessen the sauce that the tofu pieces are soaked in.


Interestingly, after that first visit with him, my second visit was with his sister-in-law who brought me here for lunch one day (seems like the only times I dine here is with the members of the same family). I ordered a Chicken Katsudon and Sashimi Set (RM28.00/AUD9.50) and thoroughly enjoyed it. The sashimi, although not as fresh as the sashimi at a smaller Japanese establishment in nearby Taman Desa, was still of commendable freshness. The chicken katsudon was done to perfection, too. A little too heavy for lunch though, I reckon, but reasonably priced for the portion and quality.


Clean, quick and friendly, not easy to tell why they are popular. They do not take reservations so be sure to arrive early to beat the queue.

Nihonkai Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

Nihon Kai Japanese Restaurant
4-2 Jalan Telok Gadong, Off Jalan Klang Lama, Batu 3½, 58100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: +60 3 7982 3668
Open daily from 12:00pm to 3:00pm and 5:00pm to 10:00pm

No comments: