Saturday, November 07, 2015

Eternal Spring Shrine 长春寺

Eternal Spring Shrine (长春寺) made such an impression when I visited in 2009 that I requested to visit again this trip. And according to Dad, when he did a Google search for images on Taiwan, countless images of this shrine came up. Basically, Eternal Spring Shrine is synonymous to the number one place to visit in Taiwan.

This has got to be one of the most recognisable photographs of Taiwan
Although this is my second visit, I still did not make the trek up to the top. I also do not recall crossing the Eternal Spring Bridge but I must have, as otherwise, how did I get to the shrine?


The shrine was built in 1989 in memory of the 212 veterans who died while constructing the Central Cross-Island Highway. The water that flows done into Liwu River below is natural spring water.


The shrine has been rebuilt twice due to destruction caused by landslides. I suppose landslides are unpredictable, especially in a gorge and when Taiwan is prone to strong typhoons but I hope it does not get destroyed a third time.

No comments: